Re: (TV) LA a bad Omen? / Old Christgau Archives to Cheer us/me up?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Maurice Rickard"
> there's the fact that several articles and anecdotes mention that one
> always ran the risk of catching "off" performances, even in the
> historical period.  (One article--don't recall which one--referred to
> TV as "four blindfolded men walking a tightrope.")  Michael Olcsvary
> would be able to corroborate this impression, I suspect.

How true - I saw them good and transcendent in NYC and trying to make
something happen (and not succeeding) in Boston back then, and I never
thought they'd be as good as they were when they were here in Seattle last
year.  I wasn't in LA, but I'd think equipment foul ups and a time limit (!)
had more to do with their apparently poor performance than "going through
the motions."
"Historical period?"  Wow.  Soon I'll start going on about how we had to
walk miles on end in a driving blizzard in our bare feet just to see
Television, and after that we'd still have the chores to do, and then our
fathers would beat us to a bloody pulp and wake us up a half hour before we
went to bed...