RE: (TV) There's more to life than books you know...

Sarah Vowell reviews "The Sea Came In at Midnight":

http://www.salon.com/ent/col/vowe/1999/04/21/apocalapse/

 "All of which is to say, this is one
 deep book. But the thing that grounds it,
 that keeps it from floating off into the
 stratosphere of chaos, is that the characters
 feel real. Kristin, the teenage girl, displays
 a charming self-reliance. And the Occupant,
 who runs around with the lyrics of Television's
 "Venus" in his head ("I fell into the arms
 of Venus de Milo") is a nihilistic voidoid who
 isn't expecting a hug in this or any other
 millennium."