Re: (TV) Rare(?) Verlaine record

Hi Philip,

Sorry I didn't answer your previous question from a few weeks back. I'm
frantically trying to complete an updated version of my book which will be
published by Helter Skelter in September (plug, plug).

> performance. Someone (I think Cliff McLenehan) had asked Clinton Heylin, who
> had said it came from a soundcheck or "live in the studio" performance,

>From what I remember Clinton telling me, the song was recorded with mics
that were positioned at the mixing desk. He thought it was from a live
performance. I don't think it was live in the studio. It may have been at a
soundcheck. Everything is perfectly balanced, but you're right, there's no
audience noise.

As to would 'The Miller's Tale' have happened without Clinton, the answer is
yes, but in a very different form. Virgin were determined to do something.
Verlaine had sent a perfunctory tracklisting, which none of us would have
bought, though it would have been a good buy for anyone looking for a good
compilation.

Clinton discovered the Venue concert in Virgin's vaults. The B-sides rarities
disc was basically my idea and about half of the track listing was mine.
Clinton wasn't even aware of some of the tracks. I lent him most of my
Verlaine 12" singles. He never returned them and copped the glory for the
compilation. C'est la vie.

Cliff

"Marc Bolan 1947-1977 A Chronology" by Cliff McLenehan
http://www.volny.cz/klif/index.htm