Re: (TV) Tom & his guitars

----- Original Message -----
From: "Billy Ancell"
Folks on the list have sporadically been hinting (and
> sometimes coming right out and saying it, in the case
> of MTC a a while back) that Tom now sucks and Richard
> rocks.

Well, I dunno - one of the things Tom said in Guitar Player's interview at
the time of the reunion album was "I have no interest in going whacko-whammo
with another guitar solo."  And I can understand that - it's one thing to
get grabbed by inspiration and channel the music of the spheres for ten
minutes; it's another to have to do it Every Night.  And regarding the
Strats vs. Jazzmasters thing, while I don't know what string gauges he used
at last year's EMP show, I do know he still sounded like him.  While there's
tons of validation for your points (even Verlaine said if you want any
sustain from a Jazzmaster it's got to come from your hands ) those who say
the sound's really in your hands are right - I suck no matter what I play!