RE:Re: (TV) Math Rock (was: Recent listening)

At 8:16 AM -0400 4/12/02, alan.sola@spray.se wrote:
When bands start using e/4 or pi/4 as time signatures, then I will be impressed...

Y'know, it'd be tough to play, but you _could_ do it digitally...

BTW, one of my fellow students once wrote a guitar instrumental for/about pi (as in 3.14...) called "the Pi Song". Now that is math
rock!

Agreed!

Maurice Rickard <maurice@mac.com> wrote:
No, Tool is DEFINITELY math rock.  They have one song (Lateralus) which
has a measure of 9/4, then one in 8/4 then one in 7/4, and then repeats!

For the record, that's Joe's text. I agree that Tool have odd time signatures and mathematical song titles, but I can't see them as math rock probably for style purposes--I mean, they have a stage show, they probably sell more than 100K units... Any math rock shows I've seen were guys wearing street clothes hunched over their guitars. Nothing to look at there (although I always find myself wondering how Ian Williams manages to play with his guitar up under his chin like that).

Of course, I'm one of those annoying people who doesn't consider Blink 182 and Green Day to be punk, either. (It has many of the trappings, to be sure, but to me it ain't punk.)
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/