(TV) TV in England

As I'm sure everyone on this list knows, Marquee Moon barely made a dent in
the US charts when it was released, yet was top ten in England.  And I've
been wondering, why for?  I've got my suspicions as to the reasons why -
like a lot of press and radio play (especially the latter; there just
weren't - and possibly aren't now - the morass of radio stations in England
that exist in the states), along with their "founding fathers of the
Movement" status, but I was wondering if our friends across the Atlantic had
any insight.