(TV) 'Helpless' & 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door'

Raymond my man,

You know when I saw the movie "The Last Waltz" yesterday
as I sat in the darkened theater listening to Mr. Young
sing 'Helpless', I thought that dirty bastard Neil-- he stole
the whole freakin' melody of his song from Dylan's
'Knockin' On Heaven's Door'.

So when I saw your post a few minutes ago, I thought I'll have
to tell Raymond that he's got it reversed. But I just double
checked [my middle name these last 3 weeks], and Raymond you
are indeed right; it's Dylan who stole the melody from Neil.

>From GOOGLE search of various Neil Young and Dylan web sites
as well as the d American Music Guide (AMG) web site:

*Jul 13, 1973 (release) inprint, KNOCKIN' ON HEAVEN'S DOOR
(Words and Music by Bob Dylan) 1973, 1976 Ram's Horn

Date of Release  Mar 11, 1970 (release) inprint Dij` vu
Crosby Stills Nash & Young*

However--any chance Mr. Zimmerman wrote his song's melody
before Neil's, but Dylan then waited for movie, "Pat Garrett &
Billy the Kid" before deciding to released his version after Neil?

(I.e., any bootleg LPs or CDs of early Dylan before 1971 where his
song 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door' (or an different version of it)
appears? [I release Dylan ostensibly "WROTE" 'Knockin' for the film
"Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid" which was released on  Jul 13, 1973]

Anyone know?

	Leo