Re: (TV) Look,my beautiful girl friend

At 8:53 PM +0100 5/6/02, Keith Allison wrote:
What's all this about then?

Keith--

A message went out to the list "from" you with this subject line. It's classic Klez worm. This worm scans the victim's hard drive for email addresses, sends to at least one of them (with an infected attachment), and picks one lucky one as the apparent "from" address. So you may not have been hit with it, but someone else with your email address on their machine got it. But the email then _appears_ to be from you, even though you never sent it.

I've received a couple bounces over the last week or two, and the message's "return-path" header usually contains the victim's real email address. The software for the list, however, has removed that info. (Yes, it's quite disturbing to see a "my beautiful girlfriend" message with your name in the From: header, to someone you've never heard of. And that it's a bounce is more disturbing--who knows how many got through.)
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/