(TV) OT: thoughts on The Hives and the severity of their status as a schtick band?

I agree for the most part with Nick's Hive's review...a couple of points...

a) With the Voidoids, The Hives nearly sample The Stooges !!!, MC5, and the best "fuck you" Johnny Rotten...and you know, if I got to listen to something new, not that I do, but GOD I want to hear something NEW, the derivative influences ain't so bad...My girlfriend first played me The Hives six months ago and I smiled, tapped my foot hard and gave her my copy of "Raw Power." She acquiesced. But we still like The Hives, if we have to listen to something new.

b) That said, per Christagau, they are better than The Strokes. But not the White Stripes. Apples and derivative oranges.

c) Why is everything NEW a "Stooges"band or a "VU" band, or a "Collins Kids" band? (rhetorical, "stand in the middle of the street and yell at god" question).

Is this all we are left with? The answer is an emphatic "no." Depending on individual taste, we are left with the new Flaming Lips (derivative of, well, The Flaming Lips) and the best album I've heard all year, Goner's "Dollar Movie." A North Carolina band...remember when bands used to come from the Carolina's?

It makes me sad that in this era there is nobody like a Tom Verlaine, a Richard Hell, a Patti Smith, a Joey Ramone, to make it all theirs as opposed to a version of someone else's...

james