Re: (TV) One Hundred Albums You Should Remove from Your Collection

At 2:29 PM +0000 7/23/02, stephen wilson wrote:
I may be feeling a bit cranky this morning - but, I agree with just about
everything on this list!(except Trout Mask and Daydream Nation)

I thought the inclusion of _Zen Arcade_ and _White Music_ were off. I mean, it's Zen-frickin'-Arcade we're talking about. I'm sorry for the reviewer that it just sounds like "noise" to him--perhaps his tender ears can't detect the song forms in that distortion, but it sounds like pop to me. Sure, there are misfires on the album, and it's possible that some of my enjoyment of it is for historical reasons, but...it still sounds vital, running over with life and passion. And I think _New Day Rising_ has more weak songs than the double _Zen Arcade_. (Then there's the glorious "Eight Miles High" cover, but that's another topic.)

And while XTC's debut doesn't scale the heights of later XTC, there's still much to be enjoyed. I don't think anyone argues that their "Watchtower" "blows away" Hendrix's version--it doesn't--but it *is* an enjoyable and interesting take on the song. And the originals are pretty darned cool when you're looking for your weird pop fix. And anyway, if you're going to ice one of XTC's albums, it should be _Go 2_.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/