Re: (TV) Face it--Punk was Rubbish

At 12:14 PM -0700 7/27/02, Jay wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/story/0,3604,723332,00.html

Oh, yes--this again. I recall the discussion on alt.guitar about this shortly after it came out. You know, the assumption that punk was a solely English phenomenon, and that it all lacked imagination and had no musicality. Note the studious omission of TV, Wire, and, well, what's the point of going on with a refutation of this?

Has anyone else noticed what seems to be a troll-explosion in the mainstream media? Maybe it just seems more present to me than it used to, but there was a recent local column in a paper I don't read (but the link's been mailed around) about how all bicycles are a hazard to life, liberty, and happiness and should stay off every road; there's an MSNBC column arguing that Lance Armstrong isn't an athlete as all he does is sit on a bicycle all day pumping his legs up and down (overlooking that little matter of the Alps, for instance); there's this article in the Guardian; there's the 100-albums thing. Obviously, it's all about offending enough people that they email the link around, getting others to read it and to drive up the hits so the offender can compete for the declining advertiser revenue. Kind of annoying, and a base trick.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/