(TV) Richard Lloyd is my #5, some other possibilities / good writing i s rewrite, rewrite, rewrite!

I don't regret sending that description of my dream, but I do regret sending
it without first carefully proofreading it .

Dreams don't always have to make sense but that doesn't mean that bushels of
really bad typos, missing words  [even in the Jon Pareles quote at very end!], and
embarrassing catachreses are excusable. So, I sorry for the 'amateur hour',  draft
quality of that piece of writing.

I certainly don't have the chutzpa or bad taste to send my totally revised and edited
version to List, but anyone who'd like to read an electronic copy that's a little less
embarrassing to read and makes its points clearer should e-mail me off line.

****More interesting Topic:  I'd put Richard Lloyd in my top 10 at around #4 or #5
(but IMHO he really needs better songs and another player to get the most out
of himself.) ******
Others in no particular order:  {My access to internet has been down last 2 days so I
can only do what follows from memory and from PC at work since I can't look up or
check guitarists, cds/titles on AMG great website}

John Fahey,
Keith Richards [what could I possibly add],
George Harrison [prefer Beatles' work],
Mississippi Fred McDowell, [anything, but album/cd "I Do Not Play No Rock n' Roll"
is definitive]
(Magic) Sam Maghett, ["West Side Soul" cd  on Delmark---not a soul record]
The Edge, [nothing from after 1995]
P. Townsend, [even his solo record to Meha Baba, and great playing on "Warm Heart Pastries"
as a guest on solo album of singer from " the group the Incredible String Band],
John McGlaughlin, (see acoustic "Follow Your Heart", or electric guitar on same title that
appears on guest appearance on Joe Farrell Quartet has a close-up of red candle or red auto on
its cover----you can pick up latter for 99 cents!],
Robert Fripp [esp. stuff with Bowie],
Buddy Guy [only stuff before 1985] ,
Johhny Marr,
Will Sargeant[sp?], (anything from Album with "Lips Like Sugar")
Ray Davies little brother
Richard Thompson,
Jimmy Page,
E. Clapton, [just pre-1980s stuff recommend  song "Going (Back Home" from
a 1970 Stephen Stills 1st solo record/cd you can find for $1.99!],
Jeff Beck,
Peter Frampton!! [yeah but just stuff from Humble Pie and his very
1st 1972 solo record; listen to "Fig Tree Bay" for a revelation],
Stevie Ray Vaughn [just the album "Let's Dance" , sorry, but I find his blues
playing, ah how shall I put it:  'excessive'?],
Adrain Belew and Carlos Alomar, [but like Vaughn only when Bowie does his
Diaghilev-thing and forces the necessary discipline and structure on them],
John Lennon [especially for his fantastic rhythm guitar work with Beatles],
Brian Jones,
Phil Manzanera [but like Belew and Alomar he needs the guidance and
songs of a genius, in this case, Ferry],
Nile Rodgers [his 1980s solo album "In the Land of the Good Groove"],
Jim Rip[p],
Kid Congo Powers[??] (the Gun Club),
Chick Corea [just "Live at the Village Gate"],
Billy Zoom[?] (guitarist of the group X, if for no other reason than
heartbreaking playing on "(Living ) With A White Girl"],
Johhny Thunders [NY Dolls only],
Mick Ronson,
Robbie Robertson [none of his post-Band stuff, but see esp. playing on
"The Last Waltz" esp. B. Dylan's 5 songs at end!];
Neil Young [(love him, but (blasphemy I know)] he plays the same 3 riffs on almost
all of his harder stuff],
Freddie King ("I'm Going Down"),
Joe Perry [if only for his ferocious playing on song "No More, No More" from cd
"Toys in the Attic", but have to admit I like his playing on Aerosmith's very 1st record!],
The guys in the original Velvet Underground (e.g., "I Can't Stand It" and live version of
"We're' gonna Have A Real Good Time"],
Savoy Brown's lead guitarist Kim[?] Simmons [esp. 1971 album/cd "Lion's Share(??) ],
Danny Kiriwin,
Peter Green,
Lindsey Buckingham [he, of course, later teamed up with the horrible Stevie Nicks to make
Fleetwood Mac  a Clinton soundtrack [just his cd "Future Games"]
Leo Kottke [just 1970's stuff],
Jerry Garcia [1970 "Dark Star" from 1970 album/cd " Live Dead"],
Country Joe and the Fish/Barry Melton[guitarist?] (1st 2 Fish records),
Julian Cope (does he even play the guitars on his records?),
John Cipollina (Quicksilver Messenger Service, esp. "Happy Trails"],
Robert Cray (nothing after "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"],
Robert Quine [esp. stuff with Hell & Voidoids:  get cd/LP on Red Star
Records of 1982's "Destiny Street"],
Bill Frizzel[sp?],
Frank Zappa ["Watermelon in Easter Basket Hay", but some of his playing though
very clever I find empty],
Baden Powell [anything you can find].

I'm sure I'll remember others when I get home and be both mad and sad.

Special Mention for making the "Overrated Category":

Carlos Santana;
the Crowded House guys;
Pat Methaney[sp?] (with apologies to Howard);
Peter Buck;
Robin Ford [see later period Miles Davis];
Mark Knopfler;
Steve Jones;
Cameron Crowe's wife from the group Heart;
Little Steven from the E St. Band (please desist at once);
Not sure if he ever plays a guitar but anything
ever done by the talentless Peter Wolf;
Robin Trower;
Jimi Hendrix [just a personal taste thing: I find his guitar tone unappealing.
His playing is always technically brilliant, but it doesn't move me on an
emotional level at all. I think there's too much masculinity, if that's actually
possible for a guitarist, in his playing as well. Sorry. If it makes anyone feel
any better, I feel that way about most of Mozart----except for his operas.
The music has this almost mathematical perfection to it, but it leaves me cold
---I much prefer Debussy's music , or even selected Ravel, Sibelius, Bruckner,
Manuel De Falla, Benjamin Britten, Bernstein, Mahler, or Vaughn Williams---even
though I know Mozart and Hendrix are considered by many to be 'the standards'
against which all others must be measured. ]

				Leo

PS: I'll be among the Sequoias,  visiting friends, and listening to music in
Three Rivers, California for next 10 days, so I'll temporarily miss any angry
comments coming my way, but I truly hope at least one person will reply to
my list of guitarists even if it's to say I am completely wrong or that my taste
'sucks' big-time.