Re: (TV) Re: TV Digest V1 #734

At 2:26 PM -0400 8/16/02, Emilie T. Hsu wrote:
Okay, so Tom broke one string in
one show, whatever.  This is making me mad.

Speaking for those of us who saw the Chicago show, I'd say that Richard's broken string led to a moment of true transcendence. But yeah, the review was uncharitable, and lacked the appropriate historical perspective--as Michael Olcsvary has reminded us, even back in the club days, the quality of their shows varied quite a bit, and you couldn't judge the band on the basis of one night.

Ah, well. That's the problem with something Real--stuff goes wrong, mistakes are made, you run the risk of being disappointed. But you also have a chance of experiencing something really special, and I'll take that risk over seeing something of prepackaged consistency...which is of course one of the things I thought punk was against, but which Ms. Arnold would seem to have preferred.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/