(TV) OT: Sonic Youth @ Bumbershoot

Wow. Sometimes it can be pretty cool to live in Seattle (Quite often it can
be quite shitty living in Seattle. Rain, earthquakes, and just try to drive
somewhere....). Grunge is long dead and rotting; sometimes it seems like it
never happened at all. But Seattle has always been a music town and
Bumbershoot, our annual music festival going strong for over twenty years
provides ample evidence of our music credibility. This year I caught The
Sonic Youths' Sunday afternoon performance and now I'm totally their fan.
First off, I only own a few of their records: "Daydream Nation", "Goo",
"Screaming Fields of Sonic Love", "NYC Ghosts & Flowers" , "Goo" being my
favorite. But after seeing them play yesterday I'm jazzed about their new
stuff from their latest record "Murray Street" . I have to go out and get it
asap. They were so animated and powerful. Not really what you'd expect from
a bunch of un-youthful forty-somethings. I'm forty myself and they seemed to
have more energy at their command in their fingers than I have in my whole
body. The few songs they played that I recognized included: Candle,
Kissability, Kool Thing, and Mote. I was enthralled - Mote was especially
cool ! You will have to excuse my blathering about a band I should have
gotten into while Reagan was still president. Better late than never I
guess. I think the Sonic Youth are really one of the few bands that still
matters in rock. =- Russ