RE: (TV) The meaning of Dreamtime

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Young
Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2002 12:10 AM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) The meaning of Dreamtime

>Dreamtime is one of my all-time favorite albums.  Does anyone
>know what the album title refers to? I have always taken the
>meaning of the title literally, but recently I have beome of
>Dreamtime, and I wonder if Tom named his album after a
>mythical time of creation like this Aboriginal concept.

Brian,
Here are some theories (first being TV's viewing of movie "The Last
Wave" had some influence).

	Leo
ps: Dreamtime is my second most favorite recording of all-time.

Trouser Press Jan. 1982:
Verlaine:
"I just decided to go to the movies for two years,"
he declares. I've been developing my career as a movie-goer.
"Stevie" was great, have you seen it? **"The Last Wave"
wasn't bad.** It's real hard to remember the great ones,
'cause of all that garbage in there."
See Trouser Press Jan. 1982
http://www.marquee.demon.co.uk/artics.htm

http://www.usfca.edu/pj/articles/LastWave.htm
But to me, the even more interesting question is the
connection between the temporal secular law of Australia
and the law of "dream time"-the atemporal psychic space
which the Aborigines feel to be more "real" than temporal
reality. Chamberlain pleads with one of the defendants to
tell the truth so he can get him off, ...."

See also Philip on Dreamtime's album cover (photo on back):
www.obbard.com/tvlist-archive/0107/msg00584.html

The Bostomn Phoeix Oct. 1981by Michael Howell:
"Dreamtime" is almost evenly divided between the post-coital
dreams and the pre-heartburn dreams.

"It was almost inevitable that Tom Verlaine would release an album
with the word "dream" in the title. Since the first Television albums,
dreams have been Verlaine's territory. This doesn't mean that Verlaine's
music is exclusively dreamy - though there are numerous songs that
could take that adjective - but it does provide a way to understand
his approach. "How I love to wander," he wrote in "Breakin' in
My Heart." Trouble is, his mind doesn't often wander down gentle
paths, and a dream's serendipity can quickly become dangerous.
So while other surrealist or psychedelic musicians attempt to
bring us into their experience, Verlaine's electrifying guitar
playing is the subconscious attempt to illuminate the unknowable.
If you've followed that, you're probably a fan from the album,
"Marquee Moon." If not, don't be put off: "Dreamtime" may be
the work of a mystic, but it's also a showcase for some of the
sharpest, most devastating guitar work in years."