RE: (TV) CD of Cover/ More Than Anyone Would Want To Know About V ersions of 'Five Miles of You'

I'm responding to the (below) previous post 'on-list' because:

1) Although it touches upon the subject of trading bootlegs,
neither it nor my response openly *trades* on-list.

[FROM MM Mailing List FAQs: "Clarification: There is no prohibition
against discussing 'collectible' material on the list, whether it is
tape, vinyl, CD, MP3, etc. E.g., 'Has anyone heard the tape of Richard
Hell's show at the White House in 1991? What is the title of the third
song? Don't you love his bass playing? Do you think his tribute to
Saddam was controversial?' is fine."]

2) I think Brian's question and its answer about the musical and
'completeness' deficiencies of the UK CD of Verlaine's 1984 'Cover'
might be interesting to others.

There was a United Kingdom (UK) 12" single 45rpm
Virgin VS 704-12 in 1984 which has:
Five Miles of You (Extended Mix) (5:36) // Your Finest Hour (2:28)
/ Dissolve/Reveal (Instrumental) (4:43)

The 1984 USA LPs and USA Cassettes of Cover include the song 'Lindi-Lu';
also, their versions of 'Five Miles of You' are 4:16 long with a
fade-out ending. (There was/is no USA CD of Cover)

Neither the LP (UK) Virgin V2314 1984, nor the CD (UK) Virgin CDV 2314 1989
include the song 'Lindi-Lu'.

The UK LP of Cover has the same version of 'Five Miles of You' as
the USA LP has (i.e., 4:16 with a fade-out).  However, the 1989 UK CD
of Cover has a version of 'Five Miles of You' that is 4:19 long
[4:19 is not a Leo typo, i.e., 4:16 + 3 seconds = 4:19], AND which
does Not fadeout, but instead ends *abruptly* (like hitting an aural
brick wall).

Philip and Leo hypothesized that Either:

a) Virgin intended their 1989 CD of Cover to have the same version of
'Five Miles of You' as the 1984 UK and USA LPs of Cover had, but as the result
of a mistake during this 1989 CD's mastering process they used the Extended
Mix of 'Five Miles of You' (5:36), AND then deliberately[?] or accidentally[?]
chopped off 1:17 of guitar solo and fadeout;

Or b) Virgin always intended their 1989 CD of Cover to have the Extended
Mix of 'Five Miles of You' (5:36), but as the result of a mistake during
this CD's mastering process they chopped off 1:17 of solo and fadeout.

Still confused? If not then consider that there is a 4th version of the song
'Five Miles Of You', namely, UK 7" single 45rpm Virgin VS 704 1984:
Five Miles Of You (3:49) // Your Finest Hour (2:28)

Some good news:  The Miller's Tale CD (UK) Virgin CDVDM 9034 1996
2 CD compilation contains all 5:36 of the glorious Extended Mix
version of 'Five Miles of You', and the song 'Lindi-Lu'.

Brian asked:
>The situation was never rectified?

Sadly, no.

>And should I seek this CD out, or should I just transfer to CD-r
>myself and save the time and effort of seeking this UK version out?

The out of print UK CD of Cover is pretty hard to find in used CD stores,
and is expensive when it shows up on E-bay.  Considering this CD's
deficiencies, I'd recommend not buying it. Instead, if you have the
USA LP of Cover, or digital files of Cover's songs just transfer them to CD-r
(or at least USA LP's 'Lindi-Lu' and 'Five Miles Of You'); unless, of course,
you own the 'The The Miller's Tale' CD or the UK 12" single 45rpm
of 'Five Miles of You' (Extended Mix) , in which case use their versions.

	Leo