Re: (TV) success

"Murray Ramone" <murrayramone@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Its better that they are not instantly hummable by the masses and they never
> achieved huge success, who wants to see a band in a big venue at hyped up
> prices ?
>
> Its a success that almost 30 years after they started we're still talking
> about them and theyre still playing

Amen.  Television never got over-exposed or played-out, so they are
still influential.

Just look at what happened to Talking Heads.  They hit the big time, and
within a few years they all hated each other (or more precisely, they
all hated David Byrne).  Eventually as we know the other members, calling
themselves Head, released _No_Talking,_Just_head_ (surely one of the best
album titles ever!), poking bitter fun at ego-maniac Byrne.

At least the other members of Television never got the point of releasing
an album called "No Telling, Just Vision."  And we didn't have to suffer
though the spectacle of Television endlessly replayed on MTV.  Or cutting
endless inferior releases like PiL.  Yup, sometimes it is better to take
a vacation than to burn out or to fade away...

Mark