RE: (TV) Videos /' Hummable' Melodies/hooks in Television's & Ve rlaine's Music

Just to be clear, I find these discussions fun and
very interesting--I'm not out to attack anyone here.

>Great songs all, of course. .  But "Glory"?

>When I see the glory...  I ain't gotta worry

>Catchy, but melodic minimalism.  "Days" also
>seems to consist of just two notes.

Hey Mark, I'm not trying to be argumentative
but I thought we were discussing 'humability',
potential 'hitability', commercially accessible,
or melodicism, but now in mid-stream your
changing to a whole different criterion: melodic
complexity.  That's ok , but if you want melodic
complexity in Television or Verlaine's solo stuff
I/we/you can supply it in droves.

IMHO "Glory" could've been a big radio hit;
partly because it's melody is so great, and
partly because its melody is so simple---simple
but deceptively simple esp. the very beginning
where Verlaine goes up/down? the fret.

Whenever I had parties with most attending
not ever having heard Television/Verlaine,
(say 85 out of 100 attending party), invariably
the songs that got most common folk,
non-wavers, non-musical-cognoscenti,
non-intellectual-rockers, Non-NYorkers,
non-dancers, or fans of e.g., Billy Idol,
on the dance floor were:
"Glory", "Kingdom Come", "Always", "See No Evil",
"Mr Blur" and "Breaking In My Heart".

>Your comment "not the 23 minute version" speaks
>volumes about why Television scared off the commercial
>audience.

Yes, of course, but it was meant to be humorous.
OTOH: How do you explain the fairly large commercial
success of PHISH or the Grateful Dead or other
current groups whose live sets include real
long versions of their studio songs?

>It's just that the songs are so good we don't notice.
>I find this remarkable.

Very well put (but some people notice).

>Okey-dokey.  So the reason wasn't not enough videos
>(or they needed more $$$) and it wasn't the tunes.
>So what is the explanation?  (Actually, I admit
>it's not the kind of thing that can really be
>explained--just making conversation.)

Too late, my explanation is coming in next 60 seconds.

Leo