Re: (TV) Re: TV Digest V1 #826

not that it contributes greatly to this discussion, but i believe the dudes in phish are actually TV fans...

 DAYKARAK@aol.com wrote:Casey, Leo J says:

>Yes, of course, but it was meant to be humorous.
>OTOH: How do you explain the fairly large commercial
>success of PHISH or the Grateful Dead or other
>current groups whose live sets include real
>long versions of their studio songs?

Well, let's see...stoned hippies are easily impressed by scale and simple
mode-oriented soloing. They truly believe that somehow, magically, even
though structurally most of what's being done isn't drastically different
from the recording, that the music is being made up on the fly. They also
believe nonesense like "Trey Anastasio is going to be looked back on thirty
years from now like people look back on the likes of the Beatles right now."
No, I'm not joking, folks: I know 'cause I've got two of them for roommates.
They also like the bouncy tempo, obvious rhythm guitar, overly domineering
basslines, and crappy nonsensical, non-threatening lyrics. I tried playing
some of disc two of The Blow-Up (that version of LJJ hardly ever fails to
impress most people in my experience) and they said they didn't like it,
'cause it was too loud, too weird, and the lyrics had some uncomfortable
indefinable quality to them..."It's not good clean rock 'n' roll, like
Phish", the one guy said. Now since when is rock 'n' roll supposed to be this
safe 'n' happy non-threatening shit? But I didn't give it too much thought,
'cause these two are also real impressed over some acapella reworking of
Skynyrd's "Freebird" on a Phish bootleg. Bottom line: they're hippies, and
I've got bigger speakers.

-nick keiser