RE: (TV) pish / hippies' aural proclivities / The Dead

>Well, let's see...stoned hippies are easily
>impressed by scale and simple
>mode-oriented soloing.

nick keiser aka DAYKARAK,

This is not that important but:

A)I agree with everything you said in your post.

B)But you may have misunderstood me or missed
the context of my original question and the Phish
example (to Mark).

I was just pointing out that long songs (live or
in-studio) by themselves do not always guarantee
a band's commercial failure.  I gave
Mark 2 counter examples (Phish and the Dead )
to his 'mini-thesis' that song
length = commercial death.

But that doesn't mean I'm not aware of
why Phish [or other bands of their ilk--not
including The Dead here--although I'm not a fan]
appeal to a large segment of consumers,
i.e., to those that like guitar noodling.

In an old post to List, Dennis made two great points:
"I have always described Garcia's playing as 'noodling'.
To me Tom's playing mis much more concise and cutting.
Even in extended jams, I've never thought of Tom
as sounding anything like Garcia."

True confessions category: I was a late 1960s-
mid-1970s "hippie" in my youth'--for better or for
worse (like to think for the better), and during this
period I listened to some pretty dumb stuff (e.g.,
"Joy of Cooking") and some pretty great music
(The Stones, Miles Davis, Velvet Underground, etc.,).
I remember a bunch of us 22 year-olds smoking at
someone's home and then listening to The Dead's
"Dark Star" from 'Live Dead' with all the
lights out.

  Leo

PS: my cousin's son, who lives on Cape Cod, has
a close friend who knows two of the members of
PHISH and who hangs out with them as he follows their
tours around the US. After meeting this guy several years
ago, your profile of these types of bands listeners was
uncanny.

I told him about Television/Verlaine and gave him
a cassette I had made of them but his reaction was nil.

	Leo