(TV) Melody Smelody / Semantics?

Mark,

I'm still pretty confused by some of your previous
e-mails regarding 'melody' and lack of it in
Verlaine's/Television's songs. (I'll grant that some
of your arguments have more merit as regards
strictly the band Television--but even here they're
too sweeping.)

1) you have presented a very technical and arbitrarily
narrow definition of melody; if one accepts your
definition then (of course) everything you
present/argue from it will then follow;

2)>I'll just refer to "melody" and we'll understand
>I mean >"typical vocal melody" or "strong/robust melody"
(that's not my understanding of melody, or even most
laypersons);

3) you seem particularly and overly (IMHO) fixated
on the melody in the singer's voice; I think all
of us would agree that's not where Verlaine's
musical strength's or interests lay--but what
about the melodic content/impact of the
instruments or other 'non-singing' aspects?
Even if TV's vocals are not melodic a great
deal more of his (and to a lesser degree
Television's) music is more melodic than
you're giving it credit for;

*4) MELODY:
a) "a sweet or agreeable succession or arrangement
of sounds; tunefulness.
b) a rhythmic succession of single tones
organized as an aesthetic whole." [Merriam
Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th Edition].

Using this definition I would claim most of
Verlaine's stuff contains melodies and is pretty
damn melodic.

5) I think there are more counterexamples of
music that succeeded commercially despite the
singer not having a melodious voice or *'the
singing-part'* not having a strong melody than
you're willing to admit to. This success can
happen for a whole slew of reasons (just a
couple here: because the other parts of the
song (playing of instruments, or e.g., the
lyrics [think Dylan]) predominate in a manner
that's pleasing to the public.

You and I may actually be just arguing semantics
and at the risk of boring the other 98% of the
List, maybe we should continue any future discussion
on this particular topic off-list?

	Leo