Re: (TV) Television: the name

ps someone seemed to suggest that it would be good to give a band a name that would be easily searchable on the net.........what a soulless idea.......sorry but that's how I feel.

It all depends on the goals of the band. If they want to sell lots of cd's, it would be stupid to pick a name today that would not be easily searchable. Would that make them soulless? Beats me, but if a band's goals are to sell a lot, they better also have a memorable album cover and clever title.

As someone rightly pointed out, Television as a band name is exempt from the Internet search question because it was chosen in the early '70's, but if they were a new band whose goals were to sell a lot of copies, to chose that name would be a bad idea.

It's like re: Richard Lloyd's latest album: does the cover really matter?

Only if you want to sell more than 10,000 copies.

I don't know of any band that gets into the music business to lose money and be unsuccessful. So to choose a name today that can't be searched and found easily is self-destructive and a bad Marketing practice.

Does wanting to be successful, wanting to have a memorable and easily searchable name preclude the existence of their soul?

Cheers,

Brian