Re: (TV) Re: Foxhole

It's funny to hear everyone's opinions on songs, especially when we're not
talking about MARQUEE MOON. I really love "Careful" - I think it's the closest
thing to a pure, 60s-style "pop" song that Television ever recorded. It's
catchy, anthemic, and I like the arrangement, too. In fact, the only song on
ADVENTURE that I don't really care for is "Ain't That Nothin'", which I find
repetitive and sonically flat (the 45 mix is significant better, but still
weak). I'm also not wild about "Carried Away" - it seems to pale next to "The
Fire" and other ballads from the era like "Guiding Light" and "Last Night" -
but it works for me.

Mark, this statement:
"Whereas the solo from "Foxhole" could be from any Television song. (If you
disagree, try listening to just the solo, then imagine it dubbed into some
other song, say "Ain't that Nothing".) By comparison, the solo in "Ain't that
Nothing" is much more functional in that it plays off the base line
harmonically and builds to a big climax. "

...reminds me of my all-time favorite Television tribute, Fine's version of
"See No Evil", from the first tribute CD (http://tv.obbard.com/tribute/), which
seamlessly substitutes in the guitar solo from "Ain't That Nothin'" (Mark, were
you subliminally referencing this in your comparison?)

--Philip