Re: (TV) Re: Foxhole

I can't speak for Zappa, but I'll second Joe's point. Lots of music uses
repeated figures, measures, etc., as a theme throughout a longer piece of
music. To use the first pop/rock-type example to come into my head, Pink
Floyd's FINAL CUT uses the music from the "What have we done, Maggie what have
we done?" bit that first appears in the opening track throughout the record.
The fragments of the Beach Boys' unfinished SMILE uses the same "bicycle rider"
theme all over the place (probably because Brian Wilson couldn't make up his
mind, but it still works nicely).

And of course, LOADS of "classical" music is built out upon repetitive motifs
or themes.

(There's a better word for what I'm describing - a musical term - but like the
difference between adagio, allegro, and arpegio, it fell out of my head a long
time ago).

--Philip