From: leif joley [mailto:leifjoley@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 8:04 AM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Text based Verlaine lyrics?

I don't know what's going on beneath the surface in here, but when I read
the message below, I felt the urge to come out and defend Mark Ryan.

Since his appearance, this list has been much more valuable to me. His
writings are funny, insightful, entertaining, well-written - sometimes
mind-boggling (as with his judgment about "Words from the front"). Even a
Swede could see that - at least this Swede; I don't know about the other
one.

It might be that several participants in this group enjoys reading about
what's in other members CD players, or people who are interested in concert
dates in '82 or '93 or whatever. Fine with me. But I don't belong to those.
I enjoy reading contributions that are funny, insightful, entertaining,
well-written, even sometimes mind-boggling, pieces that I not necessarily
have to agree with - but pieces that may spread some unusual light over the
works of Tom Verlaine and the others. Their music is absolutely fabulous
when they're in peak form, but everyone should admit that they are not
always at their peak. No big deal to admit that for me. Hey, I didn't even
hesitated to annoy Lloyd when I interviewed him the other year by
recommending him to bring in a lyricist so that the lyrics could be better
on his forthcoming records.

And isn't it peculiar that Philip read Mark's remarks on The Wonder-site as
criticism? Not even Keith seemed to be really angry at Mark.

Leif J, Sweden