Re: (TV) WAY OT - guitarists, please confirm/deny to settle disagreement

My acoustic guitar's neck was seperating so I took it
to a luthier and he showed me a eh-pa-phone he was
repairing so I'd go with this as the pronounciation
because this guy knew everything about guitars. It was
amazing being in his shop. The guy id'd what type of
woods my guitar was made out of, picked out about four
other flaws, showed me how to string it, and clean it
and basically just blew me away with his knowledge of
guitars, differing body and structural designs between
fenders, gibsons, etc, wood types, fret repair, tuning
techniques, neck build in relation to string guage,
and showing me really cheap guitars that he rebuilt
that sound and play better than top of the line
Martins.

On a guitarist note, he cleans guitar fretboards
using....store bought lard and a soft bristle
toothbrush!  He said that lard contains natural oils
and it refurbishes the neck.  He demo'd a cleaning of
a fret and it was incredible, he also discussed the
solvents in guitar cleaning products and the harm they
do.  On top of the two hour tutorial, he spent aprox
10 hours rebuilding my guitar and only charged $100.00
to fix major structural damage including refinishing a
big scratch.

Greg