RE: (TV) REMASTERED? Japanese 1998 cd

Here's the deal, as far as I can tell.

First, there are NO production credits on the CD, other than the credits from
the original four LPs from which the material was taken. (Actually, they omit
the credits for TOM VERLAINE entirely, which is weird). The CD booklet just
says "This Compilation 1998 WEA International" and "sleeve design by modern
mode". There is a pullout lyric sheet with Japanese liner notes on one side,
but the credits again appear to be in English, and only relate to the original
LPs. No compiler or producer is listed for the entire CD (unless it's hidden in
the Japanese, which just appears to be an overview of Verlaine's career, with
albums title and things like 'CBGB' appearing in English).

I've just compared tracks from the standard ADVENTURE and MARQUEE MOON CD with
the tracks on this compilations by copying each one to a WAV file on my PC and
examing the sound waves in each file. I didn't bother with the solo albums,
since I don't own the Japanese TOM VERLAINE anymore (which was the only one
available in 1998) nor the Japanese DREAMTIME.

My conclusion: The dB has been increased for the entire CD, but otherwise these
are the same recordings your hear on your standard CDs. At least, to my ears, I
can hear no improvement in clarity, and when I examine the WAV files I see very
similar sound waves, only more exaggerated on the compilation. Also, the flaws
on the standard MARQUEE MOON CD - like the static audible in the far-right
channel of "Venus" at around 0:17 - is still plainly audible on the Japanese
CD. So is the far-right channel static on "Friction" at 4:07-4:09. To me, this
just sounds like what I do anytime I make a compilation from disparate material
and equalize the volumes so I don't have to fiddle with the knob when I'm
listening.

But hey, I think you're going to win the auction, so you can judge for
yourself. To me, in this case, the simplest possibility (they recycled the
existing masters for the CD) seems like the correct one.

--Philip

--- "Casey, Leo J" <CaseyL@VOLPE.DOT.GOV> wrote:
> I can wait for your test-results, but
> I don't remember you or anyone else
> ever saying: >Even Verlaine apparently
> thought the disc had been re-EQ'ed."
>
> Please refresh my memory and what was the
> context of Verlaine thinking/saying it was?

=====
"Through the heat of a risin' land / I saw a writhin' moon"