(TV) Phil and Willard

I deleted the most recent digest, then realized I wanted to add my two cents on the issue that arose between Philip and Nick - well, I'll try to keep it to one cent. I saw Philip's remark as being in the vein of black humor. At least I hope that's what it was. Sometimes in the face of darkness all you feel you can do is crack wise.

On another note, I thought I'd mention that I've seen the Willard Grant Conspiracy, who are opening for TV in New York, before. In fact, I could see them tonight in Providence, where they're playing at AS220. They're an alt-country band of sorts, albeit with a quirky quality of their own. WGC's Robert Fisher just co-produced a CD (just out!) by Barn Burning, a very good (IMO) Providence-based alt-country band in which my friend Emily plays viola and does harmony vocals. WGC strikes me as an odd choice of opener for TV, but Emily said to me that they're very flexible - apparently there's a group of about 20 people who are in and out of the "conspiracy" at different times (she's now an "honorary member") - and can be really rocking. I guess we'll see. (I hope "we" includes me. It looks like some work may keep me from NY, at least on Friday.)

- Jesse

P.S. The Willard Grant Conspiracy has no relation to the recent remake of the classic rat horror movie "Willard" - though it would sure be interesting to see Crispin Glover up on stage with them....