Re: (TV) live CD:, New 'Listeners Friendly'

Soundboard tapes can vary greatly in quality. It depends on the club and the
PA for one. I've played many clubs where the guitars and bass are not even
miced, therefore not going through the soundboard, so you get a tape that is
all vocals and maybe kickdrum. I really don't remember Fred having loads of
soundboard tapes, at least pre 1978. Most of his tapes came from fans I
believe. There was a famous/infamous bootlegger that sold live tapes in ads
in Toruser Press who went by the name Charles R Ackers, or Crackers who gave
lots of tapes to a friend of Fred's and I think a lot of his tapes, pre 78
came from him and from this other guy we used to call Jim Tapes. Jim taped
LOADS of stuff, but especially Patti Smith and Television. Jim was very
enthusiastic at shows and you could hear him all over his tapes. Jim taped
the live version of Johnny Jewel that appeared on the Ork 12" with the
complete 45" A and B sides as the A side and the live version as the B side.
I could be wrong about that, but I do think it was a Jim Tapes recording.
Most the commerically released live albums were recorded on Mobile Recording
units, like the one the Rolling Stones had, which ended up being owned by a
guy I know, but I'm not sure if he still has it, but some great records were
recorded on this unit. I've been away all weekend and am catching up on
emails, hope I'm not rehashing anything said already.