(TV) XTC

Joe Hartley wrote:

I'm a huge fan of XTC, have been since '79.  I almost saw them in '82;
they played Providence and were going on to play at the spring festival
at the college I used to attend in Pittsburgh.

I did see XTC, in the late 80s in Connecticut, while I was in college. They were actually supposed to be opening for the Police, who for some reason could not perform that night. But many of us stuck around to hear XTC, about whom I knew extremely little at the time. The one thing I remember is that they were the _loudest_ band I've ever heard. My friends and I stood at the very back of the room, and it was still on the threshold of pain. (Incidentally, one of those friends was Bob Bannister, who later formed the band Fire in the Kitchen and is now the brother-in-law of sometime Richard Lloyd Group member Bibi Farber.) Later on I got to be a fan, though my interest waned after Skylarking - the choppy syncopated guitars that I'd so loved in their earlier work ("Love at First Sight" contains one of my favorite one-note guitar solos) had pretty much disappeared, and even the pastoral elements that began appearing around English Settlement and Mummer seemed to have faded in a wash of overall pop prettiness - IMHO, of course. I have those later records (except the second, electric Apple Venus), just never listen to them much.

- Jesse (just learned yesterday that a guy I know in Providence is the son of Martin Rev, of Suicide)