Re: (TV) R. Lloyd's guitar influences

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:54:18 -0400
"Casey, Leo J" <CaseyL@VOLPE.DOT.GOV> wrote:
> My comment not meant as a knock.

Oh, completely understood!!

> Would you include Buddy Guy's playing
> as an influence? And who else?

Buddy's a possibility, though I have to admit I find his playing to be
less identifiable than other blues players.  If I were to choose a blues
player's influence in Richard's work, it might be Johnny "Guitar" Watson's,
but I don't listen to a whole lot of blues.

In fact, I wonder if whatever blues influence there is in Richard's work
(and there isn't a whole lot to my ears) isn't heavily filtered through
Hendrix.

Honestly, many of Richard's long, flowing lines remind me more of sax
players like Coltrane or Ornette Coleman than they do of any other
guitar player.

With some players, it's so easy to hear that they're trying to be Jeff
Beck or Neil Young or whomever that you never get a feeling that they
have a voice themselves.  Richard's work (and Tom's too) never made me
think "Oh he sounds like <fill_in_the_blank>".  The reason Television
and Tom & Richard's work has always interested me is because it's
always been uniquely their own.

Influences are there, of course, but I have to listen hard for them, and
pick them up in little bits & pieces, like "that little vibrato there is
Beck-ish" or "that tone reminds me of a Johnny Watson thing".

That's why this handful of work continues to pull me in when other bands
or artists with a much greater catalog don't do as much for me.