Re: (TV) A great dose of guitar

I have a couple of Glenn Phillips CD's. perhaps I should have another >listen. They didn't blow me away. I can't remember the names of the >CD's. Both from East Side Digital. One's a double CD.

Brian, what do you think of his earlier works?

Chris,

I admit it- I am a long-term Glenn Phillips fan. The two you have are Echoes, the career retrospective and Scratched by the Rabbit. I often use Echoes as a starting point for newcomers. I love both of the ones you mention. His bass player, Bill Rea, is one of my favorite bass players of all-time, too.

Glenn is an oddball of a guitar player of sorts. He's not a shredmeister like Vai and Satriani, and he's not a sonic adventurer like Adrian Belew, Vernon Reid or Reeves Gabrels. But he's adventurous on the guitar. He takes chances, plays like himself, and is always true to the song. In that, he reminds me of Verlaine when Verlaine pushes himself.

I don't think Glenn has been recorded extremely well, though. I've seen him a number of times, and he has never quite captured his thing on record. My favorite record by him is Razor Pocket, but if you listen again, Chris, start with Disc 2 of Echoes.

What heartened me the most about Glenn's most recent cd Angel Sparks is that it may be his best work yet. He's still growing. God bless him. He's like Richard Lloyd in that respect. Richard, IMHO, is playing better than ever now. Hey, I wish Tom got a bee in his bonnet and got aggressive with his guitar playing again, creating new material that rocked. I don't buy it that he's too old to do so.

Cheers,

Brian