(TV) Tom played previously in Madrid

The upcoming Madrid concert reminds me that Tom played in Madrid back in 1987.
It's not listed in Leo's gigography on Keith's site. I'm not sure of the date,
but it must have been in March/April 1987 when he was touring Europe (with, I
presume, Jimmy Rip, Fred and Jay Dee). The day I arrived in Madrid for a
vacation, I was being driven through the city when I spotted a concert poster
saying "Tom Verlaine". Not knowing the date of the gig, I checked it out next
day and discovered it had been the previous night -- one of the great
disappointments of my life! There was a newspaper review of the concert giving
it high praise.

Maybe someone on the list could supply the exact date and fill out the
gigography?

It wasn't until 2001 that I saw Tom play live (music for films in
Cortemaggiore, Italy, and then Television in Dublin -- memorable gigs). But I
did see Richard Lloyd perform back in 1987. Well, I'm pretty sure it was late
1987. It was in a small club in New Haven, CT; Richard supported by guitar,
bass and drums. I didn't know what to expect but Richard's guitar-playing was
stunning, and I was surprised by how much I was reminded of Television.
However, I remember being disappointed by Richard's voice -- the way he uses
words. This is the same fault I find with "The Cover Doesn't Matter".

Tom's voice may not be what it used to be, but he doesn't let it get in the
way of the music.

-- Joe T