Re: (TV) Lots of Television press

Philip's pointer to recent media reports --
> Lots of press for the upcoming reissues and Old Waldorf disc:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&c2coff=1&edition=&q=%22marquee+moon%22&btn
G=Search+News

-- led me to read the Rolling Stone review of the 1992 Television album at:
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/cd/review.asp?aid=51368&cf=3050

I think it's a very good review by this David Fricke, even if some would
call it artsy-fartsy. I was particularly struck by one sentence: "Actually,
the '92 model Television is like a twin-guitar version of those Bulgarian
women's choirs, a model of complex, unaffected modal and melodic networking
dramatically resolving into angry tremolo shivers, star-burst power chords
and languid states of grace."

I've just been listening to some of this Bulgarian music, an album called
"Ritual" (Electra Nonesuch Explorer Series, 1994) by Le Mystere des Voix
Bulgares (The Bulgarian State Television Female Vocal Choir). Wonderful
stuff. In particular, I have to say that the first song "Houbava Milka" is
the most achingly beautiful piece of music I have *ever* heard; just the
women's voices and two male voices.

Someone else who appreciated the Bulgarian women's choirs was Kate Bush who
employed the Trio Bulgarka on her 1989 album The Sensual World (which has a
song "This Woman's Work" that I must rate up there with "Houbava Milka").

Does anyone remember the Usenet newsgroup rec.music.gaffa? It consisted
mainly of Kate Bush fanatics, though it was accepted that valid topics
included the likes of XTC and Television/Verlaine. I'm recalling 1987/88
when I was working for a software company in the U.S. and was tuned into the
Internet (pre-Web days!).

Bringing it all back home again, Kate Bush and Tom Verlaine are connected in
another way for me because they're the only superstars of rock that I have
ever met, and I met them in similar circumstances. Different reactions, mind
you. Kate was surprisingly open and friendly; Tom was polite, perhaps shy
(and entitled to be tired).

--JoeT

P.S. I hope Leif Joley will send us his impressions of the Burning Spear
concert...