Re: (TV) The Dream's Dream

--- Brian Young <raggedglory57@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone think that the first line of the Dream's Dream with the words
> "stop making sense" were consciously copped by David Byrne for the Talking
> Heads album and concert film?

I used to wonder about this, too. What I can't remember - before hearing "The
Dream's Dream" - was whether or not I would ever use (or hear people use) the
expression "start making sense" in conversation, like "When are you going to
start making sense?" If the answer is yes, people *do* say this, then I doubt
Byrne copped the line - conciously or not - from Television. We all know Tom
felt the Talking Heads borrowed a lot from Television, but by the time
"Girlfriend is Better" was released - 1983 - Television had been gone for five
years; and while I can hear obvious similarities between the two bands in, say,
1977, I really don't hear them from REMAIN IN LIGHT onwards (1980).

What do other people think?

--Philip