(TV) A Trifle Off-topic? Kiss & Aerosmith

With the recent posts on Arthur Lee's Love, Sonny Sharrock,
Toto[!], et al, I thought I might be given some leeway for
posting this.

Actually, I think I can first supply a tenuous TV connection to
the recent Boston Globe concert review of Kiss and Aerosmith to
make it somewhat On-Topic. (The Globe reviewer is quite
a writer and his hilarious observations are right on the money.)  The
concert review itself appears below the following Verlaine 1977 quote.

Verlaine: "In the 70s, the trend in rock 'n' roll is for somebody to
totally pattern themselves after someone else. Then they play 300
nights a year and make a lot of money, because the people who
see you will go buy your records. I'm talking about
***Aerosmith or Kiss***.  Everybody's out trying to be
commercial. I'm not trying to be anything, really."
Verlaine grins, then picks at a fingernail with his steak knife.
"We're not some fantasy-oriented band - like Kiss goes out and
projects their...insect fantasy. But we're not out to project what
might be considered common, everyday life, either."
[Interviewer:] " Does this mean they're out to project some
kind of extraordinary life? Verlaine smiles, "Just remember - you said it."

[The following does not exist anywhere on Globe Archives' website,
so I'm typing it out in its entirety.]
"Kiss Rumbles; Aerosmith Roars" by James Parker, Nov. 29, 2003
Boston Globe
"Rocksimus Maximus" is the name of the tour -- the Kiss/Aerosmith doubleheader
that landed at the FleetCenter on Thanksgiving eve -- and the sly promise
of overblown rock action was more than fulfilled.

Of the two dinosaur bands, Kiss wisely went on first.  Most  of the familiar
Kiss elements were in place: The fireworks and flame-throwers blew;
the band rose repeatedly into the air with a solemn grinding of machinery;
Gene Simmons, bass monster, stomped and leered the ancient plunging tongue
pressed into service again and again; and Paul Stanley, guitarist and
pseudo-androgynous beefcake, tweaked his own nipples and indulged
in chin-stroking surveys of the groupie-crammed front rows, now and then
screaming, "I love you, Bah-staan!" in his tattered countertenor. Next to these
megahams, new guitarist Tommy Thayer (a replacement for the rogue Ace Frehley)
cut a remote, almost demure figure, flitting about darkly in his space-age bodysuit.

The most interesting character onstage, however, was little Peter Criss,
sitting dumpily behind his drumkit, wearing his Cat makeup and playing
with the quiet, unenthusiastic determination of a man folding his wife's laundry.
For an encore Criss waddled gamely into the spotlight, sat down on some
sort of upturned flight case, and sang "Beth", his sweet song about being
lonely on the road.  Then he distributed roses.  Pyrotechnical devices
may roar, but the domesticity of this small man is the real theatrical
masterstroke of the Kiss pageant.

As for the rest of it -- well, Yeats asked years ago, "Why should not old
men be mad?" Why not indeed?  Let Kiss roll on, let this thing go on forever.
The band's age and obvious redundancy are now part of the magic. The
spectacle of these men hooting and roaring in half-ruined voices, disabled by
their platform shoes, mincing and mugging for the dwindling Kiss army
-- that ragged conglomeration of children, diehards, and heavy-metal ironists
-- will only intensify with the years.  God bless them.

When Aerosmith hit the stage after this, clean and swift and nimble, and
grouped close together in musicianly conspiracy, it seemed basic and
invigorating.  It seemed real -- after Kiss, it was almost punk rock.
This wasn't billed battle of the Bands, but let's say it anyway: Aerosmith
is better.

The Boston Bad Boys have the songs, for a start.  Oh sure, Kiss has
"Black Diamond" and the gorgeous "Lick It Up", but the larger portion of
Kiss music, looked at coldly, is not superb.  It chugs and blusters,
padded with absurdity. The Aerosmith back catalog is a classic-rock arsenal.

Aerosmith was also louder and played harder.  The set mixed classics
("Toys in the Attic", "Walk This Way"), blues covers, and the careerist
power-pop of the newer albums, stuff like "Jaded" and the
god-awful "Livin' on the Edge" -- a sudden, knelling low point
that saw Steven Tyler, eyes closed in prophetic transport, crooning
"There's something wrong with the world today/I don't know what it is"
while images of jihadists and burning towers glared fatuously from huge
video screens.

But "Sweet Emotion" heals all wounds.  Ice storms of silver paper were blasted
into the air, and the vast, unlovely FleetCenter -- half shoe box, half airport
-- became briefly, a wonderful place to be.