RE: (TV) Not Robert Burns, Hello Soviet Union (OT)

As Mr Casey pointed out, the picture of Swedes as depressive and suicidal spread around the world by the Bergman films comes back all the time to haunt us. But they say more of that director, and his own personality, than about ordinary Swedes. These ARE happy and healthy - with the Gotlanders as a possible exception, as they sound strange and look strange - and there are nowadays a great variety of other films, not to mention music, that are internationally successful and from which NOONE could jump to the conclusion that Swedes are more depressive and suicidal than other people on the planet.

There might be a point in what's been written in here about East European women though - as, as a tragic consequence of the fall of the iron curtain, Czech, Russian and Hungarian has been the main source for the expansive, Western pornography industry to exploit. So in that particular aspect, I admit: I was wrong.

Leif J, Sweden

From: Brian Young <raggedglory57@yahoo.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: RE: (TV) Not Robert Burns, Hello Soviet Union (OT)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:07:07 -0800 (PST)

I agree with Cliff. I was fortunate enough to visit Prague, Bratislava and Budapest last Fall. Beautiful woman everywhere.

Leif, what is confusing to me is the high rate of depression and suicide in Scandinavia. How does that jibe with happy and healthy-looking people?

Peace to all,

Brian

Cliff McLenehan <klif@volny.cz> wrote:
> grey and gloomy appearance that's all too common amongst East
> Europeans.

Er, ever seen Czech, Slovak or Hungarian women, Leif? Grey and
gloomy? I think not.

Cliff