(TV) Television Set List: Prove It

I was thinking of the probable set list for the upcoming shows
and it made me think about one song in particular.

The song "Prove It" has always been a tough nut for me to
crack [see lyrics below].

I like to think I have a pretty good handle on what most of
the lyrics in Verlaine's songs mean (stop your sniggering) or at
least connote.

OK, if I don't know then I've got some well thought-out theories.  TV
must feel somewhat special about this tune since it's always included
in the Television shows (and even his past solo band concerts).

Does anyone know *what* this song is about (or at the very least its
subject matter)?  Or failing that, can you propose a theory?

My lousy theory/guess:

The narrator/Verlaine is the "him" referred to in the song
(that's the easy part).  The whole song is supposed to be
ironic.  Namely, this man, who already knows that he's recently
fallen passionately in love, is disingenuously asking himself
(or anyone) to prove it to him.

Many of the lines describe his almost drug-like, rapturous
encounter with his environment--- "... the smell of water ....
... of light the unreal night. .... that flat curving of a
room" , a Blake-ian view or feeling--- "the world is
just a feeling you undertook"---  that only love can cause.
This hyper-awareness and dream-like distortion of his surroundings
is (should be) sufficient evidence to prove it, but the narrator continues.

" [F]irst you creep"  (he tries to go slow when he first meets
this person)  "...then you leap up about a hundred feet .." (eventually he's
so intoxicated that he feels super-human)   "..yet you're in
so deep " (so seriously involved/in love) that   "... you could write the
Book [of Love]."

So he repeats what he has been forced to admit earlier in the song:  there is no
need to continue his detective work any longer for evidence that he's in love.
"This case, this case that I ... I've been workin' on so long ......This case is closed."
	Leo
PS: Of course, in a TV song a word  is not just a word, it often possesses
multiple meanings. E.g., the words  "..case closed..." also represents the Fact that his
pursuit and wooing of this  person has successfully ended.

PROVE IT (Verlaine)
The docks
the clocks
a whisper woke him up
the smell of water
would resume.
the cave
the waves
of light the unreal night.
that flat curving
of a room.
PROVE IT... JUST THE FACTS... THE CONFIDENTIAL
THIS CASE, THIS CASE, THIS CASE THAT I... I'VE BEEN WORKIN' ON SO LONG...
first you creep
then you leap
up about a hundred feet
yet you're in so deep
you could write the Book.
Chirpchirp
the birds
they're giving you the words
The world is just a feeling
you undertook.
Remember?
Now the rose
it slows
you in such colorless clothes
Fantastic! You lose your sense of human.
Project
Protect
It's warm and it's calm and it's perfect
It's too "too too"
to put a finger on
This case is closed.