Re: (TV) TV in Boston!

Zzzz... wha?

Hey, some of us have jobs, Phil. Plus we're moving a little slowly today.

My very quick precis -- okay, then good, then really good, then great, then
over. I know Leo feels more positively, coz we talked on the way out, but I
was disappointed by A) the venue's muddy sound, B) Richard's disinclination
to play many solos, C) the inability to really *hear* those solos because of
the muddy sound (Tom seemed much higher in the mix). The opening songs
seemed awkwardly tossed out -- feedback and dim lighting were bothering Tom,
who addressed both matters at the mike -- but with "Venus" it began to come
together and with a spate of the new songs we finally began to achieve lift
off. Second half of the evening was near sublime with that new song whose
name I still don't know but which has the structural feel of "A Future in
Noise," an astounding version of "Persia" and an excellent, stately "MM"
ascending to the rafters. But I'm still a little pissed at not getting more
from Richard. Maybe it was just where I was standing (in the balcony, to the
left of the sound booth), because he seemed to be having a high old time.
The band's mood overall seemed good but a little proficient.

Nicest surprise? The place was packed, and easily 2/5ths of the crowd seemed
in their 20s. No one went away disappointed, either.

Set list, so far as I remember (help me out here, Leo or Marc or anyone else
who was there, especially with the new songs -- I don't have many of the
CDRs from recent years yet)

The Dream's Dream
1880 or So
Balloon
Venus
Call Mr. Lee
New Song (Squaggle?)
See No Evil
New Song
Little Johnny Jewel
Prove It
New Song
Persia
Marquee Moon
encore: Psychotic Reaction (which just sort of sputtered out, ending the
night on a decided anticlimax)

So clearly the band hasn't been reading any of our set-list posts. But what
am I carping about? These guys are still together after 30 years, not dead,
and playing like it matters. New York, you have a good two-night stand ahead
of you.

Ty