(TV) "The Mummy" / "The Beat Generation": More Than You'd Ever Want To Know

' I have a real soft spot for flying saucer songs and Frenkenstein[sic] songs.
When I was a kid the first record I ever really liked was called "The Mummy",
and the flip-side was called "The Beat Generation" which Richard Hell later
re-wrote as "The Blank Generation". I thought it [Mummy] was the greatest
 thing I had ever heard. I didn't like Elvis much then, but I was very young.
When I was a kid I used to play that monster all the time! '
Tom Verlaine, NME September 1992

the beat generation
Composed by rod mckuen
performed by bob mcfadden & dor in 1959
Some people like to rock' some people like to roll
but me I like to sit around and satisfy my soul.

I like my women short' I like my women tall
and that's about the only thing I really dig at all.

*I belong to the beat generation
I don't let anything trouble my mind.
I belong to the beat generation
and everything's going just fine.*

Some people say I'm lazy and my life's a wreck
but that stuff doesn't phaze me' I get unemployment checks.

I run around in sandals' I never ever shave
and that's the way I wanna be when someone digs my grave

*I belong to the beat generation
I don't let anything trouble my mind.
I belong to the beat generation
and everything's going just fine.*

I once knew a man who worked from 9 to 5'
just to pay his monthly bills was why he stayed alive.

so keep your country cottage' your house and lawn so green.
I just want a one room pad where I can make my scene.

*I belong to the beat generation
I don't let anything trouble my mind.
I belong to the beat generation
and everything's going just fine.*
http://lyrictracker.com/show.php?id=NTc5MDQ=
Tom Verlaine [Hell's high-school friend and co-founder of the band Television]
had this kitschy single by Rod McKuen called 'I Belong to the Beat Generation.'
It used this descending chord progression that's sort of standard for Ray Charles's
'Hit the Road, Jack' and 20 other songs. So as a funny inside reference we copped
that chord progression and I wrote the song. I wanted to describe the way things felt
to me, as distinct from the adults. The idea was that we were gonna supplant the
Beat Generation, which is actually what ended up happening."  http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/music/top/documents/02241319.htm
45 RPM Brunswick Records 9-55140, Year: 1959, Bob McFadden and D'Or,
"The Mummy" / "The Beat Generation"
AMG: "The Mummy", Composer (Rod McKuen , a.k.a. Dor)
THE MUMMY
McKuen fan's question to McKuen:
"I have a very old 45 record (ok not sooo old - probably from the 50's) that was
called The Mummy and it was written by R. McKuen, was that you". Tina

Dear Tina, I not only wrote "The Mummy" but the flip side "The Beat Generation."
And, as Dor, I'm one half of the artist, the other being the late great voice talent
Bob McFadden. I play the part of the 'beatnik'. Ordinarily I'd say the disc might
 make a good Frisbee, but based on the prices these things are bringing at auction,
I'd say hang onto it awhile. [Rod]
http://www.mckuen.com/flights/080500.htm