Re: (TV) Debut albums

In addition to Marquee Moon, it's a tough choice. I guess it depends on who you're talking about. For a lot of us post-punkers, Mission of Burma's debut (and until a couple weeks ago, their only conceived-of-as-such studio LP) _vs._ was a revelation, and I realized just a couple days ago that my youthful listening to Burma informed both the edit-drenched IDM remixing I've been doing, and my weird, asynchronous, choppy rhythm guitar style. (Though Arto Lindsay probably takes some of the blame for that, too.)

For Goths, I'd think Joy Division's _Unknown Pleasures_ (though I prefer _Still_). Minor Threat's debut pretty much minted straightedge. The Stooges, MC5, and VU debuts all seem to resonate through the culture even today for a lot of people. So different subgenres are certainly going to have different answers.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/