Re: (TV) Cheesemaking

At 10:41 PM +0100 5/13/04, Keith Allison wrote:
Nah, albums are supposed to be about 45 minutes, max. Just because a CD
holds 70 minutes or more, doesn't mean you have to fill it.

Back when I regularly made tapes for the car, album/CD lengths greater than 45 minutes irritated me greatly, unless they were double albums. It's less of a visceral problem now with car CD players.

Most albums I've bought on CD could easily lose 20 minutes or so, don't
you think?

Actually, I'd say this is true. Now that my home CD player has finally bit the dust (looking for a good deal on ebay now), I'm doing most of the listening from the PowerBook. I've ripped a number of CDs to .mp3 for listening when I'm working remotely, and I do find myself cutting out songs from a lot of CDs. (In the case of Stereolab's _Cobra and Phases_, this amounted to keeping every odd-numbered song after the first couple, and also cutting the annoying coda of another.)

There's a certain keeping-the-vinyl-alive branch of indie rock that seems to clock albums in at 30 to 40 minutes, and that's a good thing indeed. On the other hand, Glenn Branca's symphonies, La Monte Young's _The Second Dream of the High-Tension Step-Down Transformer_, and Charlemagne Palestine's _Schlingen Blangen_ have (for my money) made good use of the extra space, and it's great not to get a mid-piece interruption.
--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/