(TV) Del Amitri

Sitting here listening to the first Del Amitri album (just called del amitri, released in 85) and I remembered that Tom Verlaine gets thanked on it - I heard once that he produced some demos for them (it sort of makes sense if you know the guitars on the album) so I googled it and found this from the guitarist

DEL AMITRI'S IAIN HARVIE PICKS FIVE SEMINAL SLABS OF ROCK...

TELEVISION "Days" - It's a track from their "Adventure" album and features a great jangly riff. The great thing was we ended up working with Tom Verlaine - it's very weird in itself to end up working with your heroes - but he claimed that this riff was "Mr. Tambourine Man" played backwards and that was in fact how he came up with a lot of riffs... playing these tapes of his backwards. But I've tried it and it doesn't sound anything like it! He said it with a straight face though...

http://www.delamitri.com/articles/printmedia/guitar1.html

and then this from the singer in the re-release album notes from the same site

"Of course we had a philosophy so strict that it eventually strangled us. No chords, no choruses, no distortion, no synthesizers and definitely no long hair. Melody was God. There are more tunes between the twin guitars parts and bass lines in one backing track from this era of Del Amitri than in every top-line melody I have written since."

Does anyone know if it was just demos that Verlaine recorded with them ? I'm pretty sure he produced a single from another glasgow band who's name escapes me from that time so I guess it was also done over here in Scotland ?