(TV) pre-tv cb's story

the following story was posted at babel-list today.  i
thought it was tangentially relevant, as tv has been
credited with opening cb's up to punk (etc.):

---------------

Hey here's a funny story from a friend here in
Spokane. In 1974 he and some friends were playing in a
bluegrass group in NYC. He is a fine musician now, but
admits they were less than polished at the time. They
managed to land their first gig at CBGB's . This of
course is before TV or Patti or the Ramones had played
there. He recalls it as being mid 74 or so.

He says they played their gig to a very small bored
audience, and after the gig Hilly told them "thanks
guys but there was no one here and I think I'm
going to change the format, this country thing isn't
working out real well." He even made them pay for
their beer!

My fiend said he remembered Hilly telling then he was
going to try some new music the next weekend and a
woman named Patti Smith was going to perform. My
friend, who isn't a real punk fan, says he remembers
hearing her name quite a bit later on the radio, and
realized it was the performer from CB's.

Anyone here actually go to CB's before the punks
played? My friend claims this was his big claim to
fame, that if his band wasn't't so bad, the punks
would never have been able to play there! Ha!

Steve J