Re: (TV) 2nd Listen/Pipe/don't Hear Byrds' Chiming

i used to  think ,for years , that some of "the wonder " sounds like the church , until ,on a (official )site of the churgh ,marty says that he plays ,at least in stalingrad  and others ,with still no vocals on them ...

Rex Broome <rexbroome@gmail.com> wrote:Leo:
> Ok I 'll give it and 'Stalingrad' another listen . It could be that
> you're right:
> just because his liner notes don't say he or someone else played a 12 string
> doesn't
> rule out the possibility. Yet given that TV's always been pretty detailed
> on liner notes
> on session's equipment (cf., mention of Mark Abel particular instrument) and
> that I have
> listened to Byrds'/McGuinn's songs for eons, I'm still skeptical.

I'm skeptical as hell about Marty being on that record, too; I'm a big
fan of his, and nothing on there really sounds like him. But if he is
on there, it would be surprising if his Rickenbacker 12-string isn't
along for the ride. The credits on The Wonder are atypically sketchy
for Tom, maybe because he or the label cared less about it than some
of his other albums. Dunno.

> Moreover, given Tom's guitar wizardry, what you're hearing as sounding like
> 12 string could
> be TV playing his 6 string .

Conceded. Although that sort of octave-voicing on a 6-string usually
sounds more like smooove jazz than chimey Byrdsiness. I've spent many
many years playing an electric 12-string so I've probably heard it
outside that "jangly" context more than most folks. But I'm not the
kind of guy who can tell you exactly what guitar's being played
through which amp instantaneously or anything.

-Rex

--
"Maybe baby election twelve who I really am!"
-Miranda Mellbye Broome

Correo Yahoo! - 6 MB, tecnologma antispam !gratis!
 Suscribite ya http://correo.yahoo.com.ar/