Re: (TV) coming out of the closet

Andy Ferguson <afne04343@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Robin , Every time a person relents and gives U2 a chance I kiss the sky
> An amazing group who only ever do anything out of honesty and 100%
> sincerity.
> People who think Bono is an idiot are just....wrong . He may be annoying,
> bloated , pompous etc ( guilty your honour as he would say) but he gets more
> done than any politician

This is the part where I start to suspect that "Andy Ferguson" is a
screen name for LA Times Music Critic Robert Hilburn.

U2... they're okay.  I feel like I had to go through them as an
adolescent to get to the really good stuff, but they were and remain
sort of high-school-notebook-poetry-ish, like a latter-day Doors,
don't they?  Let's face it, they gave their band a crap name, gave
themselves crap names (well, two of them, anyway) and took themselves
way too seriously, until they decided to act like they didn't take
themselves too seriously, a project they took way too seriously.  I
guess they lose me in that whole "rock as community-building
all-inclusiveness" thing which makes them such a great "arena rock"
band... I prefer my rock and roll a little more fundamentally
antisocial.

Credit where credit is due, they have hung onto their original lineup
longer than, like, anyone, ever, and never went irrevocably to seed;
it's just that the thing that they do well doesn't do a lot for me any
more.  I guess Sonic Youth does is my "shockingly long-lived and yet
consistent" band of choice.

Plus, annoying, bloated , pompous are not good things!

-Rex

--
"Maybe baby election twelve who I really am!"
-Miranda Mellbye Broome