Re: (TV) Sick of U2! - Tom & Richard's guitar effects, anyone?

At 12:54 PM +0000 11/27/04, Billy Ancell wrote:
 SRV, one of the most overrated
geetarists of all time IMMO

Well, I'll come out and agree with you here. He certainly could play, but it's *what* he played that never really resonated with me.

The Eventide Ultra-Harmoniser? Anyone know what those
are?

Digital delay. You can also set them to pitch-shift, blend the shifted signal with the original, etc.

They (guitargeek) have nothing on Tom but I vaguely
recall someone posting that Tom is a footswitch only
man - is this true?  Has he never been spotted with
any gadgetry?

No, he has. I too should have taken notes at the film soundtracks show, but he certainly uses a Tube Screamer, some Boss pedals (don't recall which one) and I'm pretty sure an Ibanez Modulation Delay, which is old digital. He's not heavy on the effects, but he does have a bunch of them.

In the studio have they ever used
digital stuff - or is it always analogue?

Tom used to use a bunch of old tube hi-fi preamps (see the '87 Musician article on Keith's site) and then sold a bunch off on ebay a few years back (through the late Sorcerer Sound, I think). Now it's a bunch of conventional pedals, but he might have kept some of the old stuff around.

Why does he play a Strat these
days?

Dunno exactly, but he's said in the past that the Jazzmaster was the best cheap guitar he could get in the '70s, so he might not be all that attached to it. I'll point out that the Frankenstrat does have a Jazzmaster neck on it, though.

Is there any info on his choice of guitars -
for instance, the clear one on the Foxhole cover -
what is that? Always wodered if it was a real Fender.

Howard, Joe, and Keith are right--Dan Armstrong. Ivan Julian used one, too. I don't recall a Fender neck on it--I think the bolts are in different places with DA and Fender--and the photo shows the stock neck. Univox made a copy of these that tends to go on ebay in the $300-$700 range.

Ok, recently got an EH Double Muff. Any guitar players
out there - try it. I love it, the whole pedal can be
controlled from your guitar - how I do not know,

By rolling off the guitar volume, maybe? I have a '70s Big Muff which I don't use much, but I can't give it up. I actually have a lot of EH stuff from the '80s, but I have to replace the power cables, which are deteriorating at the stress reliever.

Getting an EH Memory Man for Christmas...I can't wait.
Anyone got one of these?

A dead one, sadly. It was fun while it lasted, and I need to do a hard-core repair job on it. Other EH: Polychorus (lots of fun, but I don't use it often), Graphic Fuzz (which gets used significantly more).

anyone put Seymour Duncan Jag pickups in
their Jaguar as a replacement? Advice? Mine feeds back
too much....

Haven't heard the SDs, but your problem sounds like too-microphonic pickups. I'd look for something that's very well potted, so that there's no internal vibration. No part of the coil or magnet should move relative to each other.

I just bought a *very* cheap guitar ($50) for a large group piece that required restringing, as one of my players was reluctant to trash the setup on either of his guitars. I had to tweak the neck and shave down the bridge posts, but it's actually a nice little instrument. Clean, it sounded good, and it howled incredibly when the distortion kicked in, although I kind of dug that.

Cheers,

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/