Re: (TV) Impact of Reviews on Crowds?

In message <20041201232933.19990.qmail@web54301.mail.yahoo.com>, robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> writes
anyone want to comment on the british music press perhaps being much worse than the u.s. press? meaner?
more fickle?

Certainly more interesting, with the exception of Lester Bangs and a couple of others. But all the great British music papers have all been weeklies, so the people who can write quickly get singled out from the people who can't. I don't know about meaner...more sarcastic and less prone to propping up the sacred cows, maybe.

It's a much smaller country so people who read them tend to know about new stuff, perhaps. I always thought they found all the best stuff from the US and told us about it - witness the popularity and amount of press that Beefheart got over here. And of course the Ramones and Television when they were still virtually unheard-of outside NYC in the States. We kind of soak things up and bring them home. (In a recent survey in The Guardian about attitudes to Iraq, someone from Italy said, "The Americans rule the world, but the British write about it.")

I don't actually think that a bad review results in an empty venue. Who's going to see Television if they've never heard of the band? And are people who like Television going to be put off by what some jerk in a newspaper says?