Re: (TV) Phonogram/Fontana & Verlaine

--- Billy Ancell <bilbicus@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My theory - They were used as b-sides etc because they
> were just that - they weren't good enough for an
> album, so they were used as b-sides.

Exactly what I was thinking. Fontana would have been looking for
enticement for record buyers to pick up the 7" and 12" singles, so
any non-LP tracks would suffice (like the barely-alternate "Scientist
Writes a Letter (Paris Version)").

I wouldn't be surprised if there are other tracks from these sessions
that were never released, like alternate versions of material that
later showed up FLASH LIGHT. What probably got released as b-sides
was the "lesser" material from these sessions, even if an occasional
gem like "Anna", "Sixteen Tulips", or "Vanity Fair" snuck in there.

They're better b-sides than "Your Finest Hour", that's for sure.

--Phil