(TV) Jam bands?

In message <000901c508ef$42273980$7d882004@mine>, Michael Olcsvary <olcsvary@verizon.net> writes
Television were never a jam band

The term didn't exist back then, but like hell they weren't.

I was going to say that I don't think they were, but in the interests of dragging myself into the 21st Century I found a definition of Jam Band (from jambands.com):

"Please cast aside any preconceptions that this phrase may evoke. The term, as it is commonly used today, references a rich palette of sounds and textures. These groups share a collective penchant for improvisation, a commitment to songcraft and a propensity to cross genre boundaries, drawing from a range of traditions including blues, bluegrass, funk, jazz, rock, psychedelia and even techno. In addition, the jam bands of today are unified by the nimble ears of their receptive listeners."

and I think that maybe they were, after all.